Monday 14 January 2013

What my DNA tasted like?

One day back at Singularity U, we had a visit from the wonderful folks at Biocurious (a bio hackerspace) to help us extract our own DNA.  Ever since I read a note by Richard Preston (who also climbs redwood trees) on how his DNA tasted several years ago, I've been oddly curious to slurp my own gooey.

The process of extraction is simple.  You lyse the cells in your cheeks and degrade the protein with protease (a salty mixture).  Pour the now cell-adulterated mixture into a test tube and invert it a few times.  Baby-it by warming the tube with your hand for a few minutes, which breaks down proteins.  Add ethanol to the mixture and sit still for 5 minutes.  Your DNA will begin to precipitate.  Inverting the tube again will help DNA blobs get together.  You can then use a pipette to suck your white gooey out.

So how does it taste anyways?
Insipid but on the side of salty.  Vaguely sharp.  I felt a bit shy putting it in my mouth publicly.  So I found a quiet spot where no one was looking, extracted some gooey with a pipette and put the stuff in my mouth.  It was slippery and moved around and disappeared before I knew it.

More than the taste, it was screwy to think that my DNA - genetic instructions passed down to me by who-knows-who from eons ago were sucked out and put back in.  And where did it finally go, I wonder?  My gut of course.  

*

Here's a wonderful document on how to extract your DNA.  You can buy a Genes in a Bottle kit here and play with your kid or yourself.  Just don't leave the stuff lying around...unless you'd love to see a Mini-Me somewhere in the future.  Of course, you can put it in your mouth.